Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Tour Review: Wombstone By Jessica Roscoe


Wombstone (A Vampireland Novel)
Author: Jessica Roscoe
YA Paranormal (Warning - Mature Readers only 15+. Book includes violence, swearing and sex scenes)
Publisher: Indiana Ink Publishing

Release Date: March 1st, 2013
3 out of 5 Stars

Synopsis

Mia Blake wasn’t the first girl that was taken by the vampires.

She had heard all about the girls who were missing, and even though they were only “missing”, she knew in her heart that those girls were dead.

She felt sad for them, sure. But more than that, she felt glad that they had been strangers – not someone she knew, and certainly not her. Things like that didn’t happen to girls like her.

They always happened to someone else, and that’s why she barely blinked as she made her way across an empty football field, through a deserted parking lot, to meet a fate she had arrogantly assumed was reserved for other people.

She was a stupid girl.

She paid for it.



 
Excerpt

“Mia!” Ryan snapped, grabbing my shoulder and shaking me out of my thoughts.


“What?” I yelled. Tears filled my eyes but I refused to let them spill over.

He let go of my shoulder and spoke in a softer voice. “I know this is hard for you. There are things happening right now that you can’t even begin to understand. Just remember this: You’re not dead. It was close – you were almost dead. You can see them again,” he gestured to the photo strip in my hand, “but first I need to make sure you’re safe. The people who were after you in Mexico still want you back.”

I glared at him. “Is this supposed to make me happy?” I asked coldly. “Because it doesn’t. At all.”

He looked genuinely confused. “I saved your life after you jumped out of a window. You nearly bled to death. You should be happy.”
“I never asked you to save me,” I snapped, feeling sick for the thousandth time. “I asked you to leave me there to die, remember?”
He shook his head, got up and left the room. I slammed the door behind him with a satisfying crash.
I took a deep breath and looked around my new cage. It sure was pretty, but it was still essentially a cage. The only things missing were a length of chain hanging from the ceiling and a dead girl in the corner.
You know, I like you. I might just keep you after Caleb’s finished.
I pressed my palms to my burning cheeks and wondered what the hell could possibly happen next.
  

My Review: Lauren Henry

WARNING: Wombstone would be rated R if it were made into a film and would have to really cut back on the profanity for me to recommend it to anyone even in their early teens.  I would say this is a young adult book but not for those faint of heart.  There aren’t many explicit scenes but there is enough violence in it to make a parent cringe SO, in saying that, keep this one to yourself and let your daughter stick to Twilight.
 
The main character, Mia Blake, starts off this strong, confident, young lady with an attention-grabbing backstory.  She is well off without the adverse effects, humble but not shy, and has a deceased father and an absent but a remarkable, caring best friend.  Mia attends a private school and has advanced academically and has her entire college career planned.  She has her whole life ahead of her or so she thought…Mia Blake is kidnapped and held violently against her will at an unknown location.  She discovers that she is at the mercy of the world’s first vampire and his murderous group of thugs that do his bidding.  Death is her only hope of escaping this living, breathing nightmare but the death she receives, isn’t the one she pleads for.
                Can you fathom being taken from a parking lot and waking up in a nightmare?  I can’t even begin to imagine how I would react or what I would say to my captors but I would like to think that I would show the same amount of courage that Mia Blake does.  She was bold and cunning.  I admired her style and way of thinking but midway through Wombstone, Mia losses a little bit of that edge when her “new life” begins.  Thankfully she redeems herself at the end only to have the sh*t hit the fan right before the author’s promise of a sequel. 
                I am curious to know how all of the open ended storylines from Wombstone will be carried out hence; I will be reading the sequel in anticipation that Mia’s life will become one that she is a bit more in control.  I want to watch her grow into her new self and own what she has become,  play the cards she was dealt in that cunning fashion she displayed while trying to escape her abductors.  I have hope that Mia’s confidence will return and with that, some more character development of those supporting her.  I am interested in knowing what will happen to her best friend, the witch, and what is really up with that creepy heart in the jar?!



Author Info
 
Jessica Roscoe is the author of Wombstone, a Young Adult paranormal novel. From a young age, she delighted in the written word and would often scare her poor parents with outlandish stories filled with the supernatural and macabre. Jessica studied film and screenwriting at university before deciding that novels were her calling. The setting for Wombstone was inspired by a six-month stint in the U.S. where she worked as a lifeguard at a summer camp in Mt Freedom, New Jersey. She is currently working on the next book in the Vampireland series. Her other loves in life include good quality tea, delicious wine, reading and hanging out with her husband and baby girl.


Amazon:         

Smashwords:

Goodreads:

Blog:

Facebook:

Goodreads Author Page:

Twitter:

Website:

 


No comments:

Post a Comment