Saturday, May 25, 2013

Tour Review: Playing Hooky By Rita Webb


Playing Hooky
Author: Rita Webb
Novella
New Adult/Fantasy/Romance
4 out of 5 Stars 

Synopsis:

Valentine’s Day.

And my 21st birthday.

Whoop-de-doo.

Just another college day full of classes and more homework than is humanly possible.

…until Jason, my best-friend-since-kindergarten, shows up to take me out for the day.

Like old times: the two of us on a wacky adventure, playing hooky from real life. With his lopsided grin and tickets to a circus full of misfits and monsters, he introduces me to a whole new world—one full of magic and mystery—and turns my reality upside down.

Except nothing goes as planned, and we end up running through the city to find a missing siren before someone brews a love potion with her blood.

Sirens and love potions, witches and elves, and Valentine kisses. Nothing will be the same for me again.




My Review:  

Spoilers, that give next to nothing away and do not reveal any major plot lines or the outcome, have been included in this review. 
                 
This story, while it may be short, is filled to the brim with an incredible amount of imagination.  I really enjoyed how the author introduced me to all of her characters.   I genuinely appreciated all of the humans and the magical creatures, even after just a brief encounter.  She made every scene come to life in an exciting way that was very refreshing.  I had honestly judged this book by its beautiful cover and was pleasantly surprised to find that this light read was more than just the typical paranormal novella.  For someone like myself, who has been reading a LOT of dark and emotionally traumatic paranormal books as of late, Playing Hooky was a fun-loving bookcation that I would recommend to anyone looking to take break at work or from studying.  At just over 100 pages and at .99, it is a cost effective bookcation you can enjoy in as little as an hour (if you’re a fast reader…I think it took me an hour and a half).
                I could easily see Playing Hooky go from being a short story to being expanded and made into a novel HOWEVER; I am not opposed to the idea of a short story series.  The (Paranormal Investigations) portion next to the title leads me to believe that is exactly what the author intends to do and I hope that she does.  After reading Playing Hooky there are so many questions that I would like answers to mainly, what IS Jason really?  Also, how will Jason and Emma repay their favor debts to both the spry witch and the deadly hunter?  I am dying to know what color Emma’s hair will turn into next when the young elfin wizard tries to “fix it” again ;).  My only suggestion for the *fingers crossed* stories to come would a thorough spell check.

Bonus: One of my favorite quotes is when the spry witch responds to a question with, “You stink of unicorns.” Her snarky attitude won me over.  I could read a short story just about that old hag!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment