Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Phoenix Angel (Shardwell Series #1)

Phoenix Angel
Phoenix Angel
Author(s): Amanda Gerry, Christy Hall 
YA Book
4 out of 5 Stars

Synopsis

Maggie is a normal teenager, trudging her way through senior year with her best friend, Lily. Then a boy named Kyle Spencer came to Idaho Falls, and since then everything has fallen apart. Something mysterious has passed among the three friends. They are developing terrifying abilities--strange powers that separate them from normal people.

Even worse, someone--or something--has taken a deadly interest in them. They never know when they are going to strike, or how to protect themselves, or even who they are. All friends know is that they want one alive and the others they want dead. Which one will Maggie be?


My Review

Wow, this is a hard review for me to write.  I enjoyed this book immensely but it also frustrated me at the same time. With that being said, great job authors!  This YA book has such mystery to it that it was hard to put it down. Not to mention the normal high school drama along with it, great for the  younger readers. The romance part to the story is long awaited, and not overbearing.  I think the greatest thing that the reader gets from this is the friendship between the main characters, Maggie and Lily. Speaking of Maggie, who is probably one of the most hard-headed, wanna smack someone, characters I have ever read. Stubborn, that is the best word to define her. Lily is your typical golden girl, caring and motherly, one the everyone wants to be, character.  The male characters, Kyle and Carter, are your typical boys. Always making wrong choices, overbearing and possessive, ask for forgiveness later.  I have to admit, they did make me laugh.  The mystery and suspense in this story goes to the very end. Along with a very intense and emotional fight scene, which was well written and easy to follow along, you don't get much time to breathe during the story. I only wished that you learned a little more about their history before the very end. It got confusing to me with the amount of information given so late in the story, making it overwhelming. This would be my one reason I didn't give it a 5 star rating.  Book 2, Guardian of Time, from what I have read so far about it, gives you a back story of how they came to be in Phoenix Angel.  This will give the readers the understanding of what was left out in the first book. I would recommend this book to my YA Fantasy readers, and look forward to learning more about the characters. Enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment